Thursday, August 24, 2006

I have a gift for breaking things

Is there some sort of career path out there for people with a gift for breaking things?

In the week since I've been back I've broken three glasses. It's already hard enough keeping the floors clean and "crawl safe" for Oliver without factoring in my penchant for breaking glass. But honestly, I don't consider my glass breaking a true talent, rather, I consider it the product of multi-tasking. Since becoming a mother, it's a rare occasion that I'm engaged in just one task. Just this morning I was trying to scan some immigration documents for my mom, read blogs, put the laundry in the washer, and sterlize my bottles and breast pump all at the same time. But it wasn't until lunch that I broke a glass, hence this post. That was due to some sort of multi-tasking episode which included leaving my morning mug in front of the not-properly-closed microwave door which swung open to break the glass. Yep, another one bites the dust.

According to all the parenting books, I should feel like supermom with all the multi-tasking I do, however, the truth of the matter is that I feel more like a scatterbrain. And to make things worse, I'm currently reading a book on meditation that has a whole chapter on "one-pointed attention" in which the author strongly recommends doing just ONE thing at a time. Obviously he was never a mother/housewife. Well, now that Oliver woke up, I'm multi-tasking once again.... I suppose I better bring this to a close.

2 Comments:

At 8/24/2006 8:37 PM, Blogger Suze said...

now that daniel has learned how to drop things on the floor -- (because he likes watching me pick them up? because he likes the noise it makes? because he wants to see where things go when he drops them? because he can't hold on for very long? who the heck knows?) -- anyway, now that that's happening, i understand why people have so much plastic stuff around when they have little kids. it looks terrible but at least you're not always breaking things. sigh.

 
At 8/25/2006 4:36 PM, Blogger mamacita said...

So true. It's time to break out (ha, ha) all the plastic ware... even though I can't help loving the feel of drinking out of glassware.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home