Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Rateros!

As I wrote in the previous post, our apartment was recently visited by unwelcomed visitors, rats. Well, things seem to be getting worse rather than better. After the second visiting rat was killed, we didn’t get any more visits or at least none that we noticed, but we decided to switch to a different apartment on the second floor anyway. On Monday, June 25th (which happened to be my half birthday—a not very happy one, let me tell you), I moved all day long from our lower level apartment to this new, more private apartment on the second level. Jaime was out all day, editing photos to turn in half of a photo job. Meanwhile, I was moving, stuff up and down the stairs and trying to keep an eye on Oliver at the sametime. In the midst of it all, a very large rat managed to sneak into our new place and steal Jaime’s new digital camera! I say rat, because in Spanish they refer to theives as rateros, since they sneak right in without one noticing.

It was my fault, of course, for not locking the door after each load of stuff, which I’m extremely regretful about now. And to be honest we’ve had doubts about the safety of this place from the very beginning.

But enough about rateros. I do have some good news too. The visa process seems to finally be coming along. We just got the last major batch of paperwork and official documents sent in, which means that all that’s left is an official medical examination and the interview. Who knows exactly how long each of those steps will take but, hopefully not too long! After the interview, which takes place conveniently in Ciudad Juarez--all the way up at the border, Jaime should be either granted or denied a visa. I hope it’s the former.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home