Thursday, May 18, 2006

the introvert advantage

What is the introvert advantage, I wondered to myself last night as I sat alone looking out at a beautiful Cabo night full of palm trees. Last night I wondered what I was doing at home alone with a sleeping baby when my husband offered to watch him so that I could go hang out with our young, hip Israeli neighbors. It seemed logical that I should want to be there instead of at home, but I didn’t. The thought of socializing late at night when I was already low on energy put me in a dreadfully sad state.

Then amidst feeling like a complete social incompetent, I remembered my book, The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World, given to me by two dear introverted friends. All I needed was to open it up, read a few pages on socializing and once again I felt redeemed as a normal person. For any of you who haven’t heard of it, it’s a wonderful book, and a must read if you think you are introverted or married to one. (Check out the Introvert Advantage website and do the introvert quiz if you’re curious.)

Remembering the first time I read the book makes me laugh inside. Whenever I get really into a new idea, I immerse myself in it and talk about it constantly, as I did with the Introvert Advantage—almost to the point of driving my poor husband crazy. Now I kind of regret how gung ho I was about everything introverted since I have a feeling my dear husband may never read the book and therefore never fully understand my underlying introverted nature. So for those of you with extroverted significant others, try not to repeat my mistake!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home