Monday, October 16, 2006

Top ten book list

Steph tagged me on this awhile ago, but life has been crazy with moving and now a quick trip to Kansas to celebrate my older sister's wedding. While wading through my old books, I got inspired to finally make my own list. So here's my list, although it's in no particular order and as many of you have said on yours, I'm sure there's some book I've overlooked!

Here goes...

1. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
Just a wonderful book. I've read a number of her books, but this was my favorite. I loved that it took place in Africa rather than in the Southwest as I enjoy reading about other parts of the world.

2. Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie.
All I can say is incredible!! I absolutely loved his characters and the whole intricate magical mess of it all.

3. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Again incredible!! I am very into magical realism. To me Mexico itself has a magical quality, and life here tends to feel as if out of a novel sometimes. I intend to post more on that.

4. Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
Can you see a trend here? More magical realism, but this one exudes steamy sensuality plus I love the recipes and the way it centers around the kitchen. I love reading about food because I love preparing it, eating it and serving it. Food is so much more than just nurishment to me, it's beauty, it's color, it's something to share, to present beautifully, to relish and to celebrate. My husband mentioned starting our own slow food group with friends down in Guadalajara, something I'm really looking forward to.

5. The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
I really enjoyed this book because it gave me another glance into Chinese culture & tradition, and especially into the difficult transition for Chinese immigrants moving to the US, as well as the perspective of their second generation immigrant children. Now that I live between two cultures myself, and my son will have two cultural identies, I appreciate this book even more.

6. To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee
This was an eye-opening book for me while learning about the racism in the old South while at the same time seeing the modern day predjudice and racism in my own high school.

7. The World According to Garp by John Irving
This book, recommended to me by my sophmore English teacher, was another high school eye opener for me. I was somewhat naive in my sexuality at that point, so this book was a real page-turner!

8. Skinny Legs and All by Tom Robbins
This was another favorite later in high school. I enjoyed Tom Robbins writing style and his reference to ancient goddesses as I was questioning my own beliefs at the time and was interested in feminism and women's role in religion.

9. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
This book was just a great read.

10. Pride and Predjudice by Jane Austen
This was another favorite of mine in high school. A wonderfully classiclove story!

Phew! I did it. Late, but done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home